Homes with a million-dollar view – why do we long for one?
Everyone likes a good view. Many of us would pay significantly more for a house with a wonderful awe-inspiring panorama.
Whether exposing glittering sea waters, open space wild mountains or visually exploring bustling city life, homes with views provoke us to look beyond our walls and live in the moment.
The fact that we can pay considerable sums of money to be able to wake up to a certain landscape says something not only about what that view may entail but what us humans want.
Most of this desire to be connected to nature happens unbeknown to us. We might realise we like looking at nature and find it calming, but we still have difficulty explaining why.
Back in the Roman times, before the concept was investigated scientifically, the Romans were ready to pay huge sums for their views. The views represented rarity, beauty, and most likely, were a symbol of status.
A home without a view relies on its own interior design to compose a cosy living space. But those residences boasting fabulous panoramas surprise the essence of modern living. Why?
Being exposed to nature helps us stay healthy
In 1984, Roger Ulrich, now a professor of architecture at the Chalmers University of Technology Medical Research Centre in Sweden, published an interesting article in the Science journal.
Over 9 years period, he studied patients staying in one of the suburban hospitals in Pennsylvania. He proved a strong correlation between patients’ recovery rates in a hospital with a view of nature compared to patients that had no view at all. Patients with better views healed faster, had fewer negative comments about nurses, and took fewer pain killers than patients with a view on a brick wall.
Why living in nature is important to us
Many of us have mentally demanding jobs. After long hours of concentration and straining intellectual activities, our mental resources get depleted. We become irritated, our cognitive performance declines and we may even struggle to deal with others. Ever had an argument with a co-worker, business partner, passer-by just because you were overwhelmed with work and responsibilities? We certainly have.
What happens when we look at nature is that it soothes and energises us – at that moment ¨we create a ¨backup¨ of our mental energy and our mood and performance instantly improve¨, says the professor.
In fact, when we look at nature or just anything that creates a natural and soft charm, we look at simplicity and we turn towards a simpler way of life.
In other words, if we can focus on something simple and relaxing, our minds can go back to a calm state. Especially in the periods of upheaval like we’re facing today, many of us are noticing the benefits of living in less populated areas with more access to nature and simpler living.
In July this year, UBS surveyed more than 3,750 wealthy investors across 15 markets globally and it found that 46% may forsake cities and that 7/10 will reduce travel and trips to the office going forward – (more on the survey in the coming weeks).
When we look outward, we can look at our world softly and easily.
Our project is built on a 158,000m2 plot, 5% of which is being utilised for the construction. The remaining 95% is untouched greenery, panoramic views to the mountains and the Mediterranean sea, golf courses (up to 8 in the whole municipality of Benahavís). Check the 3D planning of our project and a video of a lifestyle with MCH
For more information, please reach out to us.